@@color:Peru;My friend, I am just a salesman who cares deeply about my clients. I want to sell them whatever will make them happy.\n\n"Ah! Here is my shop! You're welcome to come [email protected]@\n\n[[You follow The Merchant into his shop|The Dream Shop]].\n\nOr\n\nYou thank The Merchant for his time and go to [[The street]]
@@color:Aqua;The [email protected]@ doesn't acknowledge you as you sit down. You watch her awkwardly. You're not very good with kids.\n\n[[You pick up her panpipe]].
@@color:Peru;The [email protected]@'s face breaks into a great big smile as he sees you step back into his shop.\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;So, are you ready to [email protected]@\n\n[[Yes|Dream]].
That got her attention.\n\nShe turns her head and looks at you. You see a scar on her right cheek that stretches from her eye to her ear. She stares at you, eyes as cold as ice.\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;Yeah, I know The Author. What is it to [email protected]@\n\n[[I'm looking for her]].
<<display "Dream begins">>\n\n[[A pounding in your chest]].
You are on a ship.\n\n<em>The Naoma</em> sways back and forth and you are afraid you might spill the jam sandwich you ate on the plane.\n\nBut that would be silly, because it is a dream.\n\nExcept it's not. Not really. It can't be.\n\n[[It feels too real]].
<<barrel>>\n\nYour gaze shifts to the pirate ship. Two girls run down from the forecastle deck, @@color:Aqua;a twelve-year-old [email protected]@ and @@color:Red;a young [email protected]@. You squint, trying to see what they're doing. They try to escape the battle into the forecastle, but the door is locked.\n\nAcross the deck, you see @@color:MidnightBlue;the captain of the pirate [email protected]@ raise his cutlass and shout orders. [[This is your new target]].
<<display "Take room">>\n\[email protected]@color:Orchid;Do you have any [email protected]@\n\nYou look around for your bags and then realize you left them at @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@'s shop.\n\nWell, that was stupid. You'll have to go back to get them later.\n\n[[You go back to the street|The street]]\n\n[[You step into the lounge|Lounge]]
You think you see a smirk on his face. You might be wrong. Then again, you're never wrong.\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;Listen, if you need anything, you let me know, okay? I mean, I'm not the most well-liked joe on this block, but I have [email protected]@\n\n[[Why should I need your help?]]
<<display "Alex Tait">>\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;Random guess. I see you've come from the Dream Shop. How did you like [email protected]@\n\n[[Sketchier than a waffle house]].
<<display "Nice car">>\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;Allenal may be a big city, but this burough is real tight knit, if you know what you [email protected]@\n\nHe wipes his right hand off on his jeans, then reaches out to shake your hand, though it's still filthy.\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;The name is Jules Nagrassa. [email protected]@\n\n[[Alex Tait]].
<<display "Under attack">>\n\[email protected]@color:BlueViolet;The [email protected]@ steps forward, lifting a hand in greeting to the nearby ship. @@color:BlueViolet;Ahoy, friends! Under whose colours do you [email protected]@\n\nA <em>crack!</em> rings through the air and @@color:BluViolet;the [email protected]@ stumbles back, red mist spraying from his chest. He moans and tries to stand but falls on his side. He tries desperately to keep breathing, blood pooling under him.\n\nYour hand reaches for your cutlass and you unsheathe it, giving a cry.\n\n[[PIRATES!|Pirates!]]
<<display "The Dream Shop">> \n\nAnd then you see the beds.\n\nThe shop stretches on past the first room. Through a doorway behind the counter you see rows of beds. At least a dozen.\n\n[[What is this place?]]
<<Going>>\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;You don't have many secrets around here, my friend. Sorry about that. Sucks to be you.\n\nAs it turns out, we both have the same employer. Or should I say, client. \n\nYou offer a specific service; the murder of The Author. Am I [email protected]@\n\n[[And what service do you offer?|Service]]\n\n[[My clients are no concern of yours|My clients]].
The shop is cluttered and cramped. At first it looks like an oldschool icecream parlour, with a counter with stools and an old cashregister. There are antique model airplanes hanging from the ceiling and an upright piano on the left wall.\n\nThere's no icecream though, just bottles and bottles. Maybe this is an old [[pharmacy]].\n<<set $shop to "yes">>
<<display "I'm Alex">>\n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;[email protected]@ finally gives a little smile. @@color:Aqua;Aye, I know The Author. I've been givin' her some fensin' lessons. Nothin' too complecated, mind ye. She ain't too quick on her feet.\n\nTruth be known, I was sort of waitin' for her to stop by, but she hasn't come by yet. She be probably at school or somethin'[email protected]@\n\nYou listen to @@color:Aqua;[email protected]@ talk and try to understand her accent. Her skin is darker, the color of walnut shells. Her hair is black and filled with dreads. She looks like she hasn't brushed her hair in months. Her eyes are small and grey. \n\nHer accent still puzzles you.\n\n[[Where are you from?]]
@@color:Peru;Of course they're a concern of mine. This is my city. Your clients are my clients. My people.\n\nYou are here to murder The Author. Don't expect that to be easy. You are going to need help. You are going to need [email protected]@\n\n[[Friends like you?]]
@@color:BlueViolet;Stand alive, [email protected]@, a voice calls behind you. @@color:BlueViolet;The [email protected]@ gives you his hand and helps you stand up. @@color:BlueViolet;We need every man alert and alive. @@\n\nYou look across the deck. Another ship is approaching, only a couple dozen metres away. It waves no flag.\n\nThe sailors around you are silent and tense. An eerie silence lies over both ships.\n\n[[Are we under attack, Captain?|Under attack]]
<<Cyline>>\n\nThat got her attention.\n\nShe stops playing her game and watches you. Her face has a sneer of unbelief. That panpipe appears to be very precious to her. Bad move.\n\nYou set it down. [[Sorry]].
@@color:Peru;Is that right? Well then, go ahead and find your client by yourself. You certainly don't seem to need my [email protected]@\n\n[[I don't|Dont need help]]
<<display "you don't have a chance">>\n\nAnother pirate swings over to <em>The Naoma</em>, near where you are hiding. As he lands you shoot him with your revolver. You grab his rope and [[swing over to the other deck|swing]]\n
<<display "I just moved to town">>\n\nNot the most talkative person. You decide to take a chance.\n\n[[You reach out and touch her shoulder|Touch Erica]]\n\nOr\n\nYou ask, [[Do you know where I could find The Author?|Ask Erica]]
That got her attention.\n\nAs your fingers reach her sleave, she grabs your hand and stops running. She twists your left arm until you think it will snap.\n\nYou swing your right fist. It meets her face and makes contact with her nose. Blood starts pouring from it. She kicks you in the knees and you fall. [[You grab her shoulder|Grab]] and bring her down with her.
<<Sorry>>\n\nFor an awkward minute you stare at each other. She takes the panpipe and strings it around her neck.\n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;I be [email protected]@, she finally says.\n\n[[Do you know The Author?]]
<<display "I'm looking for her">>\n\nHer eyes scan your body.\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;For real? You don't look like much of a [email protected]@.\n\n[[Neither do you]].
@@color:Aqua;I be a 'lil from everywhere. Me father be a sailor, ye see. I spent most of me life at sea, sailin' between Port Royal, Hispaniola, The Virgin Isles. I ain't got no home, nowhere to go, ye [email protected]@\n\n[[So where is your father?]]
You watch @@color:SpringGreen;the [email protected]@ running up and down the slide. You hear him call out to @@color:OrangeRed;the [email protected]@.\n\[email protected]@color:SpringGreen;Hey Dad! Check this!\n\nThe [email protected]@ does a summersault as he falls down the slide. When he reaches the bottom he twists around and poses like a breakdancer. @@color:OrangeRed;The [email protected]@ gives a cheer. He doesn't seem too concerned that the kid will fall off the slide and break his neck, but genuinely seems to be proud of his son.\n\n[[Is that your boy?]] you ask. This guy looks way too young to have a son.
<<display "strike">>\n\nYou feel a cold burn behind your knees as @@color:Aqua;Cyline, the pirate [email protected]@, swings her sword and slices your legs from behind you. She came out from the room while you were fighting.\n\nYou lose your balance and fall forward.\n\n[[As you fall]], @@color:MidnightBlue;the [email protected]@ stabs you in the chest.
@@color:OrangeRed;Hell, no. That's the thang, see. Most the folks here don't hate her. The pirates, they're tight with her. Pretty much treat her like family, which ain't right. It's same with the folks at the B&B. \n\nThang is, Erica don't let go of no grudge. Cynthia hurt her, and just keeps pourin' more salt in the wound.\n\nBut then again, Erica can never seem to let go of anythin'. That done gonna destroy [email protected]@\n\n[[What did Cynthia do to make Erica so angry?|Cynthia and Erica]]
<<display "the first glance">>\n\n<em>CRACK!</em> The doorframe explodes in splinters, inches in front of your face. You spin around to see @@color:MidnightBlue;the pirate [email protected]@ standing in front of you, gun smoking. You turn to each other. The chaos around you fades away as you two murderers stare at each other. [[Face to face]].
Within seconds there is [[a rushing in your ears]].
<<display "How did she get one?">>\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;I think you should [email protected]@, he says. You rise to your feet, stepping back.\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;That [email protected]@ is way too high strung.\n\nYou put your knife away and [[return to the street|The street]]
<<display "stabbing it in the chest">>\n\nA shudder of pain rips through your back.\n\nYou look down to see the tip of a sword jetting from your chest.\n\n[[You have been stabbed]].
<<display "Hi. I'm Alex">>\n\n[[I just moved to town]]
<<Start>>\n<<silently>>\n<<set $shop to "no">>\n<<set $metcyline to "no">>\n<<set $street == "no">>\n<<set $metdamian to "no">>\n<<endsilently>>\nAn unnamed employer will pay you $50,000 to [[murder]] @@color:Red;The [email protected]@
@@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ finally emurges from the front room shaking a sealed bottle.\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;This is a Dream Elixir. Drink [email protected]@\n\nHe hands you the bottle and a straw. This seems like a bad idea.\n\nYou gulp down the drink. Before you have even finished the bottle your head feels too heavy to hold and you fall back onto your pillow.\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;Close your [email protected]@\n\nYou don't have a choice. You can hardly keep them open.[[Your eyes close|Dream begins]].\n
<<display "Do you run here often?">>\n\n[[Do you have a name?]]
You walk into the Bed & Breakfast. @@color:Orchid;A young [email protected]@ walks by carrying a stack of towels. She gives you a great smile.\n\nYou see she has one arm. She still manages to carry a whole stack of towels, using the stump on her left shoulder to keep the towels balanced.\n\[email protected]@color:Orchid;Would you like a [email protected]@ she asks.\n\n[[Why not?|Take room]]\n\n[[No thanks|Lounge]]. You go into the lounge.\n\n<<set $street to "yes">>
<<display "Is that your boy?">>\n\nHe shakes his head.\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;Cynthia? She don't come down here [email protected]@ \n\nHe gestures to the trail where @@color:IndianRed;the [email protected]@ is running.\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;Last time Erica and Cynthia was up in the same place and same time, things got ugly. Erica tried to kill her. And I'm a thinkin' that if The Author shows her grill again, Erica will for [email protected]@\n\n[[Bad feelings, huh? Does everyone hate The Author?|Hate]]
--Let the player undo moves? (on / off)\n--In Sugarcane, this enables the browser's back button.\n--In Jonah, this lets the player click links in previous\n--passages.\n\nUndo: on\n\n--Let the player use bookmarks? (on / off)\n--This enables the Bookmark links in Jonah and Sugarcane\n--(If the player can't undo, bookmarks are always disabled.)\n\nBookmark: on\n\n--Obfuscate the story's HTML source to prevent possible\n--spoilers? (swap / off)\n\nObfuscate: off\n\n--String of letter pairs to use for swap-style obfuscation\n\nObfuscateKey: qodrxnmchtwzsalgyibfvepkuj\n\n--Include the jQuery script library? (on / off)\n--Individual scripts may force this on by\n--containing the text 'requires jQuery'.\n\njQuery: off\n\n--Include the Modernizr script library? (on / off)\n--Individual scripts/stylesheets may force this on by\n--containing the text 'requires Modernizr'.\n\nModernizr: off\n
CHAPTER ONE\nWelcome to Allenal\n\nThis town is really paranoid\n\n[[www.cynthiadawn.net|http://www.cynthiadawn.net]]\n\n[[HOME|http://www.targetcynthia.weebly.com]]
<<display "Touch Erica">>\n\nAs you are falling you reach in the back of your pants for your dagger. \n\nSo does she.\n\nYou roll away from her. She holds an automatic switchblade in front of her, crouching, ready to cut you. You recognize her knife. That brand is only available to those in law enforcement and active military duty. [[How did she get one?]]
<<display "So where is your father?">>\n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;Aye, I may be able to do that for ye.\n\nYe might also find her at Bishop's [email protected]@\n\nYou decide to visit Bishop's University when you get the chance.\n\n[[Go back to the street|The street]]
<<display "You go for a jog">>\n\n[[Do you run here often?]]
<<if $street == "no">><<Blabbing>><<endif>>\nThe sun is shining, heat radiating off the pavement. You see skyscrapers in the distance, but the neighbourhood that @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ led you to seems to be a sketchier burough.\n\nTo your right is an old [[Bed & Breakfast]].\n\nTo your left you see a sign pointing to [[Robertson Park]].\n\nAcross the street from you is an [[appartment building]].\n\nBehind you is @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@'s shop.\n<<if $shop is "yes">> [[Return to shop]] <<else>> [[The Merchant's shop|The Dream Shop]] <<endif>>
You land on <em>The Eclipse</em> and pause to get your bearings.\n\nThe two girls scream as you land on their deck. @@color:Aqua;The younger [email protected]@ unsheathes her cutlass. \n<<if $metcyline == "yes">> \nYou know her! This is @@color:Aqua;[email protected]@, the pirate girl you met in the Bed & Breakfast. Why is she in your dream? \n<<endif>> \[email protected]@color:Red;The older [email protected]@ grabs your attention. You think she looks to be about twenty years old. She doesn't look like a pirate. Her hair is shaved on one side of her head, and while she is dressed in ragged pirate clothes, she has no sword.\n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;The pirate [email protected]@, instead of charging you with her cutlass, turns to the locked forecastle and smashes the doorknob with the hilt until it breaks. \n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;Quick, Cynthia! In [email protected]@\n\nThe girls dissappear into the forecastle. \n\nAnd you realize that was [[the first glance]] at your target.
<<display "Pirates!">>\n\nThe pirate ship, known as <em>The Eclipse</em> gets closer. There is a rumble and <em>The Naoma</em> shudders. A cannonball strikes the poopdeck, the deck cracking and splintering on impact. Ducking behind a barrel, [[you fire the musket]] at the helmsman of the pirate ship. Your musketball strikes him in the neck and he falls over the helm, another pirate taking control of the ship.
@@color:Peru;What is your [email protected]@\n\n[[Alexander|Alex]]\n\nOr\n\n[[Alexandra|Alex]]
Chapter One: Welcome to Allenal\n\nThis town is really paranoid.
<<display "You attack the pirates">>\n\nThe pirate collapses at your feet, gasping and screaming.\n\nA second pirate looks down at his dead companion and cries "Anton!"\n\n[[You lift your cutlass to fight him|Lift cutlass]].
The lounge is a long, casual room with couches, a piano, and a series of card tables. A door on the back wall leads to a bar. On the left there is a dining room.\n\nSitting at one of the card tables, with a big cup of iced tea in her hands, is @@color:Aqua;a teenaged [email protected]@. She is playing a game of solitaire by herself. On the table is a panpipe. \n\n[[You decide to sit down and talk with her|Cyline]].\n\n<<set $metcyline to "yes">>
Name: Alex Tait\n\nOccupation: Assassin\n\nDestination: An undisclosed city refferred to as "Allenal." \n\nTarget: [[Cynthia Dawn|Target]]. @@color:Red;The [email protected]@
<<Alex>>\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;We are going to my shop. I figured that would be the best place to start on your [email protected]@\n\n[[I don't have a mission]].\n\n[[How do you know my mission?]]
<<display "You pick up her panpipe">>\n\n[[I'm Alex]].
<<display "Ask Erica">>\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;What, is she your bestie, your homegirl, your [email protected]@\n\nShe's making fun of you. You don't like that.\n\n[[Nah. I'm going to kill her|Kill]].
@@color:Peru;This is my Dream Shop. I sell dreams.\n\nPeople come here and pay for whatever it is that they want most. And I give it to [email protected]@\n\n[[But none of it is real]].
@@color:Orchid;[email protected]@, the girl grins. @@color:Orchid;I'll just set these down and get you your [email protected]@ The girl walks back to get rid of the towels and returns to the counter to sign you in.\n\[email protected]@color:Orchid;I'm Lynn. It's a pleasure to meet [email protected]@ You shake her hand. She starts clicking on the computer to sign you in. @@color:Orchid;Alright, you'll have room five. Your keycode is [email protected]@\n\n[[You commit the keycode to memory|Memorize]].
<<display "Face to face">>\n\nYou slide your blade against his, then swing to the right and step forward.\n\[email protected]@color:MidnightBlue;The [email protected]@ steps to the side and you follow suite, [[ducking]] as his cutlass swings at your face.
@@color:Peru;By the way, I wouldn't go telling people about your mission. Or your target. There are some folks here who are good friends with The Author. Telling people you're here to kill her could go really bad for [email protected]@\n\nAs if you would go blabbing about your job. You're no amateur.\n\nPeople in this town already seen to know more than you are comfortable with.\n\nYou step out onto the street
<<Target>>\n\nYou fly to the city of Allenal, where you are certain to find her.\n\nThe plane is small. Hardly any passengers. Half-full. You don't complain.\n\nIt is not until you land at the airport that you begin to suspect something strange about this city. [[Especially about the people.|Plane]]
You cross the street and approach the parkinglot of the appartment building.\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;A black [email protected]@ is washing his car, an old boxy DeLorean, with rust around the wheels.\n\nHe's wearing reflective lenses, and before you even step into the parkinglot, you get the feeling that [[he's watching you]], though you can't see his eyes.\n\n<<set $street to "yes">>
<<Hate>>\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;[email protected]@ is about to answer your question, but @@color:SpringGreen;[email protected]@ finally flipped off the slide and fell on his back. He gives a gasp, then a sob, then sits up and makes a short choking sound, like he is trying not to cry.\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;[email protected]@ jumps off the bench and helps the boy stand up. @@color:SpringGreen;[email protected]@ is just winded from the fall. It takes him a moment to catch his breath, and as @@color:OrangeRed;[email protected]@ insists it's time to go home, @@color:SpringGreen;the [email protected]@ is begging to climb the slide again. Tough kid.\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;[email protected]@ jogs past the bench again.\n\n[[You go for a jog]]\n\nOr\n\n[[You go back to the street|The street]].\n\n<<set $metdamian to "yes">>
The Author
<<display "Where are you from?">>\n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;Dead. And good riddance.\n\[email protected]@ continues to play her game of cards. You decide to head back to the street, but first you ask her a favour.\n\n[[Listen, if you see The Author, would you be able to introduce me?|Introduce me]]
You begin to cough up blood as you fall into his arms. As you die, @@color:MidnightBlue;the [email protected]@ whispers to you.\n\[email protected]@color:MidnightBlue;Get yarself out of Allenal. Ye've got no business there.\n\nStay away from lil Cyline and The Author.\n\nIf ye e'er so much as look at them again, I swear I will cut yar throat, and ye won't be wakin' up at The Merchant's shop.\n\nI be watchin' [email protected]@\n\nHe is watching you. [[Even when you're not dreaming|Watching]].
<<display "Lift cutlass">>\n\nA voice whispers in your ear, @@color:DeepPink;This is what you get for killing my [email protected]@.\n\nYou fall to your knees.\n\n[[A shadow passing over and you pass out of the dream|Wake up from stabbing]] wondering, What was the point?
@@color:IndianRed;Can't help you, but I'll keep that in [email protected]@\n\nShe makes a fist and you bump it.\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;I'm Erica.\n\[email protected]@ gains speed and keeps running. You veer off the path and slow your pace until you return to the main park.\n\n<<if $metdamian == "yes">>[[Return to street|The street]] <<else>>[[Talk to boy sitting on bench|You talk to the boy]]\n\nOr\n\n[[Return to the street|The street]]<<endif>>
You unsheathe the cutlass and charge the nearest pirate, [[stabbing it in the chest]].
You approach @@color:DarkGoldenRod;the [email protected]@. He pretends not to notice, scrubbing rust off the hood, but you know he is looking at you behind his lenses.\n\n[[That's a nice car you've got.|Nice car]].
Major characters\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;The Merchant is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:Maroon;The Author is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:Aqua;Cyline is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:DarkSlateGrey;Anton is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:DeepPink;Rocco is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:DarkKhaki;Phillip is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;Julian is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;Erica is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:SpringGreen;Jackson is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;Damian is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:Yellow;Shaell is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:Indigo;Lukan is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:Orchid;Lynn is Orchid\nLynn is also the [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:Green;Tison is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:LightSkyBlue;Logan is [email protected]@\n\nMinor characters (Dreams)\n\[email protected]@color:BlueViolet;Captain is [email protected]@\n\[email protected]@color:MidnightBlue;Cairo is [email protected]@\n\n<<set $password1 = prompt("Enter password to continue")>>\n<<if $password1 eq "DangerousDream">>\n<<display "PasswordSuccess">>\n<<else>>\n<<display "PasswordFailure">>\n<<endif>>
You go running on the path, pushing yourself to catch up to @@color:IndianRed;the [email protected]@ ahead of you. She's fast. She wears a grey sports jacket and long pants, though it's hot and you see she's sweating like a pig.\n\n[[Hi. I'm Alex]], you say.
You unsheath your cutlass, ducking low and pulling a revolver from the belt of your captain, still trying to breathe. You slip the revolver into your own belt. \n\nThe first-mate resumes the captain's role of calling the men to arms, preparing the guns for battle. A boy runs across the deck with a musket, which you grab. You kneal on the deck to [[check if it is loaded.|Check musket]]
<<display "Friends like you?">> \n\n[[So what's this business you run?|Service]]
<<display "It feels too real">>\n\[email protected]@color:BlueViolet;Let's hope not, [email protected]@, the captain mutters. You see his pale face and the pulsing of his throat as he swallows. This is a man who is has lived through many attacks, many battles, many storms. Much like yourself.\n\nAnd you see that he is terrified.\n\nYou wrap a hand around the hilt of a sabre hanging from your waist. [[And you wait]].
<<display "You talk to the boy">>\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;Better believe it\n\nHis name's Jackson. We call him Jack-Jack, J-Rock, or CrackerJack. Whatever fits.\n\nThe name's [email protected]@\n\n[[I'm Alex. I was wondering if you've seen The Author|Damian]].
<<display "Wake up from stabbing">>\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;How about I send you back to the dream? Try [email protected]@\n\n[[Screw that!|The street]] you cry, jumping to your feet. You stumble out of the shop. You've had enough of this dreaming nonsense.\n\nOr\n\n[[You settle back for another dose of dreams|Dream begins]]. You know you're missing something. @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ didn't give you this dream for nothing, and you won't stop searching until you've found it.
<<display "My clients">>\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;You need contacts. Someone you can trust. Someone who's connected. Trust me, Alex, there ain't nobody in this town more connected than [email protected]@\n\n[[Thanks. I'll keep that in mind|Keep in mind]]
You have seen @@color:Red;The [email protected]@. You now know who your target is.\n\[email protected]@color:MidnightBlue;The [email protected]@ is watching you. Even when you are not dreaming.\n\nAs you pass away from <em>The Eclipse</em> and the dream, you understand why @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ gave you this dream.\n\nThere is more to Allenal then you thought.\n\[email protected]@color:Red;<center><strong>END OF CHAPTER ONE\n\nPASSWORD FOR CHAPTER TWO: DangerousDream </strong></center>@@\n\nDon't forget this password! You will need it to play chapter two!\n\n[[Replay|Start]]
<<display "Check musket">>\n\nFour of the pirates swing over to your deck, firing pistols and swinging their cutlasses, slashing at defending sailors. You duck behind the barrel, watching them.\n\n[[You attack the pirates]]\n\n[[You keep hiding behind the barrel|barrel]]
<<display "you can't get in">>\n\[email protected]@color:MidnightBlue;The [email protected]@ raises his cutlass, swinging it up and to your left. You lift your own blade. The swords vibrate and ring as they [[strike]].
<<murder>>\n\nAs soon as you step off the plane you are met by @@color:Peru;a tall, thin [email protected]@ Short beard. Fedora. Dark glasses hide his eyes.\n\nHe takes your bags without asking and walks through the airport, to the street beyond.\n\nYou don't ask questions. You just follow him.\n\n[[Nobody speaks.|Speak]]\n\nAt first.
<<Grab>>\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;[email protected]@ You see <<if $metdamian == "no">>@@color:OrangeRed;the teenaged [email protected]@ from the bench<<else>> @@color:OrangeRed;[email protected]@<<endif>> running toward you.\n\[email protected]@color:OrangeRed;What's going on [email protected]@ he demands, pulling out his own blade.\n\[email protected]@color:IndianRed;Leave it alone, [email protected]@, she spats.\n\nYou keep your knife pointed at @@color:IndianRed;[email protected]@ but hold one hand up, a plea for peace.\n\n[[I don't want any trouble|NoTrouble]].
@@color:Peru;Nice to meet you.\n\nI am the [email protected]@\n\n[[Where are we going|Going]]?
You awaken in @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@'s shop.\n\nYou roll over to see @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ watching you while you sleep. Creepy.\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;So, what [email protected]@\n\nYou tell @@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ what happened. He listens patiently, but you can tell he's not impressed.\n\n[[I thought this dream was supposed to help me find The Author|The Author not found]], you grumble.
<<Kill>>\n\nBut that's a lie. @@color:IndianRed;This [email protected]@ looks every bit like a killer. She cocks an eyebrow. She knows it.\n\n[[If you know where Cynthia is, let me know. We'll take her down|Down]].
You charge the forecastle and try to twist the broken doorhandle. The girls have wedged something in front of the door and [[you can't get in]].
<<display "I don't have a mission">>\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;That's just fine, but I'm warning you, this mission may be harder that it looks. I might have something you want.\n\n[[Whatever. Leaves the shop|The street]]
<<display "What is this place?">>\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;And who cares?\n\nWhen you're ready to escape this world and go into another, then anything is good enough. \n\nEven a dream. Or a lie.\n\nWould you like to [email protected]@\n\n[[Absolutely|Dream]]. You hand The Merchant your money\n\nOr\n\n[[Thanks, but no thanks|The street]] You go to the street.
@@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ fiddles around his shelves for a moment, looking for a specific bottle. @@color:Peru;Trust [email protected]@, he says, @@color:Peru;I've got the perfect dream for you here. A dream that will help you accomplish your [email protected]@\n\nYou can't wait. Or maybe you can.\n\nYou're intrigued. And a little freaked out.\n\nBut this is just part of the adventure, right?\n\[email protected]@color:Peru;The [email protected]@ tells you to go ahead to the back room. You select [[a clean bed]] and crawl into it.
<<display "go talk to the man">>\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;It's a rust bucket, but it's got a good engine and that's all that matters.\n\nAre you new to [email protected]@\n\n[[How did you guess?]]
What's the big idea? Why would this guy be watching you? There's nothing about you that really stands out.\n\nThis town is really paranoid.\n\nYou decide to [[go talk to the man]] and see what his deal is.
<<display "a rushing in your ears">>\n\nAnd you think you're going to be sick.\n\n[[Your eyes flash open]].
You follow the signs until you reach the park.\n\nIt's a nice place, with green grass, a soccer field, a bicycle path and a jungle gym for kids.\n\[email protected]@color:SpringGreen;A little [email protected]@ is running up and down a slide. @@color:OrangeRed;A teenaged [email protected]@ is watching him on a bench while flipping a magazine. @@color:IndianRed;A teenaged [email protected]@ jogs past on the path.\n\n[[You talk to the boy]]\n\n[[You go for a jog]]\n\n[[You return to the street|The street]]\n\n\n<<set $street to "yes">>
<<display "Why should I need your help?">>\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;[email protected]@ laughs.\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;You've got that right! But it works. Trust me, The Merchant is legit. Trust the dreams. You'll find what you're looking for [email protected]@\n\nA ringtone goes off. @@color:DarkGoldenRod;[email protected]@ reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone.\n\[email protected]@color:DarkGoldenRod;Got to [email protected]@.\n\nHe disappears into the appartment building, leaving his wet car in the lot.\n\n[[You return to the street|The street]].
You watch as the pirates fight your crewmembers, stabbing and cuttingdown men with no pity. Your grip tightens around the sabre, hardly able to stop yourself from jumping up and defending <em>The Naoma</em>, but you stop yourself. There are too many pirates flooding the ship now, and you know [[you don't have a chance]].